Thursday, September 9, 2010

An Introduction to 'Writing An Introduction'.


Pardon and forgiveness is asked. May the light of Syawal this time around bring to you a thousand meanings and fortunes from Him. Amen.


It's 4.30a.m. on Hari Raya (Selamat Hari Raya to all the muslimin and muslimat out there =]) and I'm staring at the laptop thinking 'Hallelujah! Another assignment (or homework) completed!' XD which is actually pretty elevating considering that I've been sleeping at 4.30a.m. for the past 2 weeks due to a backlog of assignments, reports and tutorials caused by me slacking too much. So the fact that I actually managed to finish something is pretty miraculous =P

The sad part is that I spent, let's see, 5 hours editing a 150 word introduction. That's like at a rate of 2 minutes per word! O_o Basically, it was supposed to be a paired homework whereby a pair of us will read two texts presenting different views on organic foods and then using the texts, we were supposed to discuss, draft and edit out an introduction which will then be submitted to another pair for 'peer reviewing'. After that, the introduction will be revised and then submitted.

You would believe how grateful I am that it was paired work. Sarah S., my partner, was super helpful and not to mention super efficient. Without her, I think I'll be downing Red Bull and pulling an all-nighter again. She had the edited version of the draft up on her blog in no time and even completed the review for Jun Zhi and Jung Hiong's introduction. Anyway, the fact that she had posted the first intro earlier made it so much easier for me to take time and read through it and revise it without having to rush like crazy as most of my Thursday had been taken up by capoeira and archery. Thanks Sarah S. ^^

So, if all seems well, then why am I still up so late? Well, it's mostly due to the fact that I suck at introductions and conclusions. I never seem to know how to start off without sounding cheesy and to end off without sounding cliche. Basically, I think I spent 80% of the 5 hours trying to figure out what to write for the first line. The rest was just plain copy pasting from Sarah S.'s draft and editing the sentence structure and vocab XD

Ugh.... I seriously need to go fish right now. So much for a long weekend when the backlog of my work is longer than the weekend... =.="

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment